Monday, October 8, 2007

Being one with the Machine

“Allright, Last chance Merrie”

She puts her seat belt on and Oakland song, ‘ready steady go’ begins to play in the background. Jason Bourne, reverses the car and what follows is a spectacular car chase, that takes place on the streets of Paris... The Bourne Identity

“I know we’ve got a history. But I promise, if you take care of me, I will take care of you.”

Memphis breaks into a Shelby Mustang GT 500 and starts it with his equipment. At the same time, police sets out in his pursuit. They request air unit and with Nitro booster he raises away to 140 miles and you hear radio, “110, 120, 130 and 140 and he is gone”…Gone in 60 Seconds

I probably can go on and on about these movie car escapades, as I’m movie buff. But what I’m trying to draw attention to - are these moments, when the right kind of music, thrilling scenarios, catchy angles and the sheer pace that push you to the edge of the seat. Perhaps, you can get a feel of how it is to ride being one with the machine.

It is very rare that I get a ride like that. But I did, once. It had been just a boring Sunday, till my friend called up and asked me to come down for some snacks.

Tired Sun was drifting with a progressive pace towards horizon, skies were maroon and lazy. There was a refreshing breeze. Roads were comparatively empty with a little bit of traffic. It had rained earlier during the day, so there were some tiny puddles and some mud that must have drifted down there with the flow of water earlier. I cleared first signal and from there on it was a straight shot. Why I say straight shot is because, beyond that point you don’t have signals for at least next 7 Kilometers. Please, take my word for it, this is quite some distance in Hyderabad. This road runs sleekly from Jubilee Check-post till Banjara, cutting some sharp curves with sizable ups and downs as it connects two hills. There is a park on the one side of the road and well, at the pace I rode, didn’t really matter what was on the other side.

There are two lanes on each side, but really tight lanes. You need discretion and speed for snaking here. But then it has its own thrill too.

I rode up straight, passing Little Italy and then Appolo. Then cut some sharp curves before the small uphill climb near a tiny shopping mall. Soon I found my sneakers wet, reminding me of the last puddle, I belted my bike through. That rush of blood, snaking through Ford and Toyotas, breaking just before the curve with an ounce of doubt if I would make it or not, eventually making the curve and then speeding up again, clutching on the front disc-brake so hard that I could feel the rear wheel skidding, I shift my body weight to balance the bike, scratch my feet for some distance till I stop just an inch before the stopped car, I realign myself and then twist my right wrist a bit more, push left foot down to push to second gear and vroom again. Till I have wind rushing through my shirt, eyes glued with utter focus to the street, accelerator-brake-gearbox become my extended limbs, I have a song on my mind and I can hear the firing of the engine as clearly as my heartbeat.

It lasted till I braked to stop at the red light at Banjara, Pizza Hut. The ride was over, my heart was beating faster with nothing but excitement. That thrill of the ride is beyond words. I had all the possible chances to make a mistake and fall, but I didn’t. I don’t know, just something in me, kept telling me just be one with your bike and ride, you will just be fine. Well, that was one of those moments I know for sure, I was one with the machine. Everything felt just right and so much smooth. I might have come this close but, I think I knew, what I was doing.

Well, when I got off the bike, I thought of a lot of things… cheap thrills and speed isn’t all, aint worth it and so on…

We may not make mistakes but others will, a second to late on your brakes, a few more degrees of tilt on the curve or a bit too hard on accelerator and you might be flying. However, pushing laws of physics and gravity, have their own share of rewards. One who loves bikes, would know what I mean by ‘being one with your bike.’

But am sure my Dad would say, “Drive safe, Keep it real.”

And I would second that.

Neo.

3 comments:

  1. Nice bro...
    I can identify with such moments.. Had many such instances, too lazy to write.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more thrilling post...can feel the wind flying through my hair and muscles taut and heart pounding as reflexes take over. My advice is: remain in one piece to write more such thrilling stories ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one! And of course, a lot of adventures are about coming back to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete