Thursday, February 14, 2008

14th

Up until I was 17, 14th February didn’t mean anything more than my grandpa’s birthday. But then, when I found myself tucking my shirt in, polishing my shoes and borrowing hair gel from a friend, I definitely knew there is more to it. But considering it took them upto High Middle Ages until the day was associated with romantic love (well, maybe there are other types of love too), I definitely picked up well with in time.

Today, as I stay awake through unearthly hours, watching the clock tick to 14th, I feel a lot different. I work in an industry where Coca-Cola invented Santa. So, I’ve kept my eyes open so far for all the consumers. Those tiny heart shaped chocolates, those roses manicured carefully to look natural and yes, those greeting cards, have been mere products I had to get outta basement and make some bucks for my company and myself. That is all that they are to me.

Wait, roll back a bit, not a lot - a few years, when I bunked my college and rushed to the suburbs to pick her up, she made me wait as she had that quick-fix beauty parlor visit. Trust me, when she walked out, I was convinced that she was the only beautiful girl left on earth and I was so happy to have found her. I handed over a pretty flower to her then. 18, how stupid can you get? We did the typical stuff you know, went for a movie, popcorns, held hands, walked out to a nice restaurant, had a nice lunch, then ice-cream and then long walk by the sea, till the Sun set down.

Now, I see all these people purchasing things for St. Valentine’s Day, I feel thoroughly happy that our seasonal campaigns have paid off well. Consumers haven’t let us down again. God bless them. I wish we had some more saints. I mean why not, are you satisfied with having just one day to tell her/him that you love them?

I mean, today is the day you confess that you love them, why not have one more when you can officially say sorry for all the shit that you’ve done, maybe another one when she could all cry out and maybe one when Guys could be Guys. I’m sure the consumer culture we are in, we’ll find some more days. And guys like me won’t be out of work.

It is yet another day, you are right. However, smart breed of animals we are, we utilize this day to say I love you, am sorry, let me make it up to you and so on and so forth. We would expect something to be different about this day, radio stations won’t be tired of playing love songs, you’ll see enough pink on television to have you convinced half a world has gone gay, you’ll see long queues outside restaurants, bars, pubs and discos. People will dress up their best for their beloved ones and so on. All of this hype, sometimes pretty much gets me to believe it. Perhaps this is the DAY. But I’m still a sales-guy at heart I guess.

….


I’ve called up grandpa and wished him. I also tried convincing granny to take him out for a date. I wish they go for a walk outside. Where they would walk next to each other as they have all their lives for last 50 years.


Day has gone by well, am on my way.

Emm, I didn’t mean to buy it but that little girl just walked by with those pretty flowers and I just happened to have some loose change in my wallet so, that is why this flower. Nothing special about it..

Looking at empty horizon, I wouldn’t like to admit but somewhere deep within, 18 year old still lives who is saying, “Come on, Just give it a shot. Worked once, at least give it a try.”

He chuckles, I breathe.

Neo

No comments:

Post a Comment