Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Coffee

I think I had forgotten how one makes a cup of coffee. Being subjected to a corporate lifesytle of working like a maniac, not knowing what person next to you is doing, not knowing if it is pouring or sunshine outside, I don't remember anything more than, pressing 'cappacino' button on the coffee machine, waiting for the electronic noise, pull of the machine pump to pour mix of milk and coffee in my paper cup and then throwing the plastic stirrer in and then with out even savoring the bittersweet aroma, just gulping down the mixture to keep me awake and working.

Well, I fell sick last Monday and ever since I'm free. But also subjected to taking care of my self. The feeling was pinching enough when I had to ride my bike for a kilometer to get my own medicines. But then, it is a package named 'life'. You can't pick and choose.

So, today late afternoon I felt like coffee. I stay in a house occupied by three bachelors. It took a while to get hold of the coffee powder, sugar and half a cup of milk. But then, to my happy realisation, I had not forgotten how one makes a cup coffee. A spoon of coffee and sugar, throw in a drop of milk and stir it real hard so it reduces to a fine paste that gets melted real smooth in the boiling cup of milk. Now just to make it more enjoyable, it starts pouring outside. I pour my cup of coffee and sit outside enjoying rain drops fall violently on my terrrace. The smell of coffee lingers little longer and triggers some bittersweet memories.

We all have memories, with coffee and why not. The drink was devised to have conversation, to have memories, to cherish a few more memories, to let lot happen over it. I remember, someone used to make coffee, for me. There was something bout it, I didn't quiet realize it the first time but...

The fine balance of milk n water, just as much bitter taste as required, tenderly sprinkled dots of coffee powder on top and a content smile n pleasant company to go with it. Sipping on it, enjoying it to the last drop and then handing over the compliment only when I couldn't 't resist but ask for one more. She would smile, tilt her face a bit, raise one eyebrow but eventually would give in to me. Then, taking the conversations further, laughing, giggling, fooling around, sometimes letting the milk spill over. Wasn't that a cup of coffee that all my five senses enjoyed?

Feels like it was just a few days back. But, matter of fact is, it has been a few years since we even spoke. I don't know which part of the world you might be in right now. I guess, we are all grown up and focused on lives now, our careers, our friends and may be also on someone special. And that is how it is suppose to be. But, I can't help be a typical guy for the time being and wonder at this delicate moment, if there was something about me, something that I did or said, anything at all, that someone still remembers me for? Maybe- maybe not. But, the thought brings a chuckle on my face n memories get me some company on a lonesome evening.

We are given just as much as we need, just as much time we need to spend, just as much we need to smile, just as much we need to fight and just as much we need to hurt. If we are to meet again, then how bout a cup of coffee, bittersweet, just about perfectly balanced?

Neo.

2 comments:

  1. This post is damn good. Its simple beauty is touching, and the imagery is familiar, except I don't remember any 'encounters over coffee' but do remember sipping coffee and watching the rain and reflecting. Keep writing about such experiences, it reminds one of a life one keeps thinking about, but never quite lives. But its good to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. Went straight to the kitchen and threw out my jar of Nescafe...No, I didn't, because the reflections still apply, even if it's over a simple cup of lousy Nescafe. Thanks for making me stop and think for a while. www.kopidunia.com

    ReplyDelete