Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Stay


Until very recently I couldn’t understand how people lingered in their cars a little longer once they were parked. Why would they stay there any longer than they absolutely had to. I just couldn’t fathom it. I just thought it might be an American thing… you know free refills, big cars, fast food that sort of a thing.

Until this morning.

I drove in the dead of the morning to work. I was listening to this true story on podcast. And as I cut the last corner to pull into the parking lot, for my car stereo to echo the applause and my tear glands to let go, was the same opportunistic moment, the moment as I just stopped before ramming my car into the concrete.

And I stayed. Lights on, heater running, seat belt off, hand on my mouth and other on the hand rest, toggling podcast streaming. I am not sure how long I kept staring into infinity. Cars pulled up on either side and the old lady on my left, interrupted my staring contest with her warm, elderly smile. I managed a polite smile as well. And then took a deep breath and couldn’t help but chuckle at myself – you silly bugger.

And in that moment I understood, the importance of staying a while longer.

It is no different than, when a kid wakes up from the dream and wants to close his eyes for a moment longer so he could finish building his castle, it is when your father pulls up outside of the school and you want to bury your face in the backseat and refuse to leave, when a sales guy takes that deep breath, goes over his pitch before stepping out of the car, when you wait a little longer to open your cab door as you are at the departure gate, when you hug someone and as they are drawing back you feel them slip through your embrace, when you want him or her or something to go on a little longer.

So the next time, Stay! Stay a while longer, it is ok. 

Neo

No comments:

Post a Comment