Friday, October 11, 2013

Perspective


Fundraiser, I don’t like that word. In my dictionary the word has a very negative meaning. It paints a picture of a banquet hall filled with privileged people, competing for the attention and the seat at the hottest table, as far removed from the cause as they could be, and rubbing shoulders with other socialites.

This was different. Room was packed with diverse set of people and when my friend took the microphone and read out the numbers and success stories of asylum seekers, the room resonated in applaud. However, nothing my friend said could sum it up like Paul (that is not his real name) – who was granted asylum thanks to the efforts of The Advocates For Human Rights did. He said, “You can not stop sadness and fear from visiting you. But these people helped me shut the door slam on that sadness and fear. Thank you so much for helping finally sleep peacefully at night.”

It is inspiring to see the lawyers stand up for a cause. I imagine there is more money and fame in patent infringement, high-profile divorces, and suing McDonald’s for their extra hot coffee for that matter. But these guys are here, rescuing one life at a time.

Being in a foreign country myself, I have my set of sadness and fears as well. Certainly nothing compared to Paul’s. But his words did help me put it things in perspective. 

Sure, there are uncertainties and insecurities but I still have the basic freedom to believe what I choose to, follow any religion I prefer, love regardless of gender, and above all express myself.


And for that I am grateful. 

Neo

No comments:

Post a Comment