Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Poker



So we play a little game of poker, don’t we?

As a kid, I didn’t really play a lot of card games and as a grown up kid I still don’t. However, poker is something that I can’t resist if it is on offer. Don’t know but that is one game that can draw closest parallel with my life.

Two cards are dealt face down, you can see them and continue to play. In the course of game there will be five cards dealt face up on the table and you could use any three of them to make your full house, straight flush or pairs. Now, the fifth card is the river card. And if I’ve the vibe then I never go down till the river card is drawn.

Now, the practical side to the game is ‘Throw the hand that can’t get you the win.’ And my side is if you think you’ve got it then go all the way in.

I think if God runs a club up there in heavens, he will be the master dealer and perhaps house will be ever in profit. I’ve never seen such an immaculate delivery of cards ever in life. Deck dealt so elegantly, I wouldn’t know if he was dealing my life from the bottom or top. Your smile was the sign and sparks between were the vibes, I took up the hand.

I might have been reluctant but I’ve not shied away from betting the whole pot. Because that is how I’ve lived so far. I’m not the greedy kinds of ‘Double or Quits’ but I would never bet on two horses just to recover money. I’m either in or I’m out.

That is how I saw you. I didn’t check you on your bets. When you were in, I thought you were in all the way.

Believing comes naturally to me I guess. I think it is some kind of high for me. Maybe that is the reason, I can’t stay without believing in some thing, someone – or maybe just in you.

They say “Key to no stakes is to push a man to all his money” I guess you just did. But I took up.

In life and in poker the question is not Did I see it or you showed it? or

Did you hear it without me saying it?

It is hard math, these are cards and not people, they don’t change, they don’t speak, they don’t pretend. Fools like me gamble it, others grind it out.

I went down, big time. Fair enough. Taken.

However, I’m disappointed you threw the hand in before the river card could be drawn. Why? That is all for the trust, sparks, connections, commitment, confidence? I don’t know.

Little over period of time I’ll learn how to win. It isn’t a big deal. But what about you?

How long will you throw hands in with fear of losing? Will you realize the value of the hand you just tossed in?

I don’t know.

Be watchful though, if someone calls your bluff. After all, we all play a little game of poker don’t we?

Neo

2 comments:

  1. life pokes! just move on, do not ruminate... all you get is cud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this article! But the retrospection is killing me!

    ReplyDelete